This is the documentation for the Easy Digital Downloads Taxamo Integration plugin.
- Plugin Prerequisites
- Setting Up
- Issuing Refunds
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Further Support
- Bug Fixes
1. Plugin Prerequisites
This plugin needs the following prerequisites.
- An installation of Easy Digital Downloads, set up in WordPress.
- A Taxamo account. Click here to sign up for Taxamo.
- Download the plugin here and upload
taxamo-edd-integrationfolder to the
/wp-content/plugins/directory, or search for it in the Plugins > Add New repository.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
3. Setting Up
All setup is done on the “Taxes” screen of Easy Digital Downloads (located in the Downloads > Settings > Taxes area of the plugin).
Before doing anything, please make sure that the “Enable Taxes” box is ticked. Taxes need to be enabled before doing anything. The plugin does prompt you for this though before continuing.
The Taxamo Integration Section is located towards the bottom of the page. Before the plugin works, the plugin needs your Public and Private Tokens. These are located in the Integrate > API Tokens area of the Taxamo Dashboard. Paste both keys into the relevant boxes, and then click save.
From v1.5, you can now set checkout prices including tax. To do this, check the dropdown next to “Display During Checkout” to Including Tax to activate it.
Top Tip: It’s a good idea to do a test transaction, using the Test API Tokens, to begin with, to make sure it’s all connected.
The other settings are purely optional, but you may wish to review them.
- Ask For VAT Number – you can choose to collect that VAT number, which can affect the price and where there billing address is located. This is useful if you have a lot of Business customers, or will be selling to businesses.
- Custom ID Format – In Taxamo, the data is recorded via an ID number. By default this is simply the ID of the sale in Easy Digital Downloads, but if you have a number of shops running through Taxamo, you may wish to add a prefix or suffix. You can use the string
%%ID%%to display the EDD ID number of the sale (which is the default value).
- Disable Custom ID (v1.6+) – Ticking this box disables the custom ID associated with orders made using this plugin. If disabled, this field is left blank in Taxamo.
- Custom Invoice Format – Similarly, there is an invoice number associated with Taxamo. At the moment it’s similarly just the EDD ID number. If your invoicing has a different format, feel free to change this.
- Disable Custom Invoice (v1.6+) – Tick this to disable the custom invoice associated with orders made using this plugin. If disabled, this field is auto generated by Taxamo. Click this if you use Taxamo’s invoicing feature.
- Introduction Header Text – The Introduction Header text is located above the Billing Address on the checkout page. Use this to convey why we need the user’s billing address or any other information you feel could be useful.
4. Issuing Refunds
To issue a refund, you need to also issue it in Taxamo. Luckily this plugin does both.
To issue a refund, issue it similar to how you would in Easy Digital Downloads. However, to double check, head to the Downloads > Payment History page and click on the relevant Payment.
The “Update Payment” box in the top right hand of the screen should have the status “Refunded”. Go to Taxamo and check the relevant payment, you should see the payment has been refunded.
5. Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does This Plugin Insist I’m in Ireland?
From testing this plugin, you may get erroneous results if you’re testing locally. The IP lookup treats local IP’s as from Ireland. This problem has yet to manifest itself when you are not working locally.
6. Further Support
As stated on the plugin page. This plugin only is supported under our Priority Support. Click here to sign up for Priority Support.